Friday, February 28, 2014

I feel like I should say something...

In the December 29th 2013 essay, Liber Deus, I wrote a pretty glowing review and recommendation of an old AD&D 2nd Edition book, The Complete Priest's Handbook by Mr. Aaron Allston. I suggested the book to anyone who really wants to breathe life into their fictional religions - be it for a game, a novel, a comic, you name it. I spoke about how inspiring the book was for me, and for others, and how it brought depth and character to a series of books that until that time had been more about increasing power levels than about increasing creativity and imagination. I suggested it as a useful - practically invaluable - tool for anyone who wanted to really get into the nuts and bolts of their world/faith building exercises. I stand by that suggestion. The book is simply great, written by an amazing and prolific writer.

I found out late last night that Mr. Allston died of heart failure while speaking at a convention in Missouri.

I never personally knew Mr. Allston, but I know several people who were lucky enough to have. Universally, the words they spoke about him were kind and brave. When they talked about him, it was to describe him as a good and decent person. Of the people I know who knew him (and there are a few), not one of them ever spoke a single ill word. I would have liked to have met him, and thanked him for Galatea In 2-D and Doc Sidhe and his oh-so-many contributions to the Star Wars genome.

I won't get the chance to do that in person, now, so I think instead I will do it here.

Mr. Allston. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment