Sunday, December 8, 2013

Under Sleeping Suns: What Do You Want To Know Today?


Fanfare and Trumpets

It's Question And Answers Time!

I'm really wanting to drum up some conversations on the essays I've written here, so to do that, I'd like to take some questions from you the readers (*cricket noises*) and provide answers. I know all of the stuff that needs to be known about Loris, all stuffed up in compartments in my head, but that doesn't mean that I'm necessarily providing all of it in the essays I've written so far.

So I think going out to the readers (*more cricket noises*) and letting you ask me some questions with which to give me prompts for more exposition might be just the thing.

So here ya go, here's your chance to get all up in my skull-meats and get me to put on my Basil Exposition costume (it's groovy, baby), and spell a few things out that I may have unintentionally glossed over.

Here are a few I've already gotten:

Is Loris a Heliocentric universe? It's got two suns, so how does that work?

Why only three PC races in Under Sleeping Suns?

You keep talking about The Gods Of Light And Darkness. What came before them? Why don't you have a complete recounting of the creation of the world?

What game system is Loris intended for, if any?

Drop me some questions here, or over on the Paizo Forums thread that bears my dirty fingerprints, and I'll make sure every reasonable question gets answered. And by "reasonable," I mean that no, I will not buy you a pony. Even if you hold your breath until you turn blue. 

2 comments:

  1. No ponies? Aw, man... wait, I'm not a Brony. I'll deal.

    Anywho, as I've discussed with you, one of the things I like about how you've presented your universe is how, well, old it is. The fact that PCs will NEVER discover all the ancient mysteries of that world is fascinating, and much ore realistic and interesting to me than an easily-discoverable history of the world. One thing I will ask: how do you intend to help new GMs in their world-construction exercises? One approach would be a 'Chinese menu' type deal, where there are a number of historical options that the GM can choose from, but unless pushed into a corner, he or she doesn't have to make any concrete choices. I don't know if that makes sense, but it resembles the old White Wolf way of doing things, where the GM had all sorts of fluff to choose from as the 'real' stories behind the various factions.

    Another interesting point is the Human dominance of the world. I'm honestly tired of elves, dwarves, and all the other fantasy tropes that exist in just about every fantasy world out there (yes, including my beloved Shadowrun, but at least Shadowrun goes out of its way to present these races and tropes in a semi-realistic modern context; they're all people, not collections of stereotypes). Do other races exist? Are any of them (like certain D&D races) inherently good or evil (which would seem to go against the approach you're espousing here)?

    Anyway, loving what you're posting, man. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've mentioned it before, but I'm rather curious as to how the "knot" works. I gather that each strand is one of the different realms, and they come together, but I'm not sure I really understand it or properly get the metaphor, so if you don't mind elaborating that would be great.

    ReplyDelete